The creator of the best hot cross bun recipe is back and after his hit Australia Day pavlova recipe we couldn’t resist another sweet creation. So, Geoff has shared the best pancake recipe, perfect for a lazy Sunday morning with the family, or to spoil someone special.
From the man himself: This recipe was given to me about 15 years ago from a family friend, but I believe the recipe originated in Canada from a friend of a friend of a friend. It started out as just the batter recipe and each time it was passed, different fruit, coconut, ingredients and toppings were added. It’s quite a foolproof recipe.
Ingredients for the best pancake recipe:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar – or to taste
- 1 large apple – peeled and grated finely
- 1 large, mashed banana
- ½ to ¾ cup desiccated coconut – depending how much you like it (my addition to the recipe)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries/raspberries
- 2 cups of milk (or enough milk to bring the mixture to pancake consistency)
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Fresh berries
- Ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Lemon juice
- Anything you like!
|Prep time||10 mins|
The best pancake recipe instructions
- Combine all ingredients except for the frozen berries into a large bowl, and lightly mix until well combined, and it’s the right consistency. It doesn’t matter if the batter is a bit thick or runny. But if in doubt, go for runnier!
- Place a large pan over medium heat.
- Fold the frozen berries through the pancake mixture.
- Using a measuring jug or ladle, pour the pancake mix into a buttered/oiled pan.
- Flip the pancake when the top surface starts to bubble and cook for a further 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with desired toppings!
Pancake FAQs & Tips
What are the best toppings for pancakes?
The great thing about homemade pancakes is you can make it to your taste, adding and removing extras where you deem best. With that in mind, Geoff recommends the following toppings:
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh/frozen fruit
- Ice cream/whipped cream
- Sugar and lemon
What is the trick to making fluffy pancakes?
If you’re after extra fluffy pancakes, you can separate your egg whites from the yolks and beat the whites until they form peaks. Once this is done you can fold the egg whites in, making sure you don’t overmix the batter – you want to make sure you keep in some air bubbles if you’re after that fluffy end result.
Can you use self raising flour instead of plain flour for pancakes?
Yes! If you’re out of plain flour you can certainly use self raising. However you will need to remove the baking powder from the recipe if you do this.
And there you have it, an easy, hearty, delicious breakfast that is perfect for a sweet morning treat, or to fuel your kids for the weekend ahead. Plus, if you’re hosting a big breakfast, you can easily double the recipe – it’s the perfect crowd pleaser!
Whether it’s a delicious pancake recipe, or food processing equipment, FPE can help. When you order with FPE, you receive comprehensive customer support, including spare parts supply, equipment training and food processing maintenance.